I chopped down two pieces of olive wood, roughly of the same shape of the handle, plus some excess material.
I traced the outlines and drilled the pin holes on the drill press. I went for 4mm holes, enlarging the ones already present on the blade.
I prepared two brass pins and two pieces of G10 red liner.
I de-greased all the surfaces with acetone and glued all together with two-part epoxy.
Clamped them down and let it cure for 24 hours.
After the glue was cured I removed the clamps.
I had plenty of excess material, so I thinned it down with a metal saw. I went for a total width of 22mm: 4mm blade, 1 + 1 mm liner, 9 + 9 mm scales.
I taped the blade and started to get closer the final shape on the belt grinder.
I realized that the finish I had on the scale on the blade side it was wrong. I had to do it again, and it was not nice because I scratched the blade in a few points.
Got to a nice rounded shape and finished the sanding by hand.
Went up to 1000 grit on hand sanding but the tool marks on the tang were very hard to remove.
I finished the wood with beeswax. I let it dry and reapplied three times. Then polished.
And this is the final product.
Three things that went well:
- Following the steps I watched on videos was super easy and effective.
- Adding a red liner between the blade and the scales added a nice twist.
- Beeswax made it a nice finishing on the wood.
Three things that did not go well:
- I wasn’t able to remove all the tool marks from the tang.
- There are scratches on the handle.
- I scratched the blade while shaping the handle.
Three things I’ll do differently next time:
- I glued way too excess wood on the blade so I had to re-do a few bevels on the scales. Next time I’ll refine the scales to a thinner width before glueing.
- I will dedicate more attention to the final sanding of the tang.
- I will sand more carefully the handle to avoid tool marks on the wood.